Intro and Getout – Planning Questions

These are questions I have been asked most frequently. These answers are not definitive and the actual interpretation of planning law and guidance can vary from one local authority to another.

Disabled Access/ Disabled WC

Q. Building an extension on the front of my house do I have to upgrade the Disabled Access/ or put in a disabled WC for Planning and Building Regulations. A. The building regulations state that when altering or extending a residence, there is no requirement to provide a specified level of disabled/wheelchair accessible WC/cloakroom or to provide access by disabled/wheelchair-bound people to the building. Disabled access and WC provision must however not be reduced by the new building works. Ref. Building Regs-Part M, Section 0-General Guidance, Paras 0.2/0.3

Local Authority Planning Fees

Cost of making a planning application, fee must be paid before the Local Authority will register the planning application. 1. New House – £335 per house (for a development of 50 houses or fewer). 2. Extension, improvement or other alteration of existing house – £150. For full information go to… http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/english_fees-feb_2010.pdf

Scales – Planning Drawings

Q. At what scale must planning drawings be produced? A. The scales for the different planning drawings should be those shown on the main”Planning Drawings” page. Local Authorities can get very picky, rejecting a drawing package because the location plan was at 1: 1000 scale instead of 1:1250, or rejecting a block plan because it was shown in 3D instead of in the prescribed manner. Don\’t even think about using a scale like 1 :75 or 1: 40 even if it allows you to show more detail.

Time taken

Q. How long does it take to get planning permission? A.  When the Planning Forms, Planning Drawings  and Fee are submitted, the application will be registered in 3-5 days. From registration the Local Authority has 8 weeks to come to a decision. If there are complications or they request more information from you, the LA may ask you to extend this period. The application won\’t necessarily go before the Planning Commitee, most are decided outside the commitee, especially if there are no valid objections.


Q. Do I have to pay VAT on Planning Applications and Building Regulation applications? A. VAT is not payable on Planning Applications but IS payable on Building Regulations Applications because these can be processed by qualified private commercial companies.